Sunday, October 28, 2007

October 27-28th.

This weekend just flew by. No idea where the time goes.

On Saturday we went to the JDRF Halloween party. Not a big event, but it's always nice to see other kids with diabetes, exchange recent experiences, catch up on the latest news.

Soon after we get there, I pull out my camera, get Gabe all ready ("smile!") for the shot... and the camera wouldn't take the picture. I look inside and apparently, I left my memory card at home. Bummer!!!

Not much happened there anyways, and they run out of pizza soon after we got there, so we only had two slices to share between the four of us... Where as we saw some people inhaling two three slice portions.

Then the usual comes. My least favorite part (and sadly, kids' most favorite), the Pinata lynching. Of course, once it is broken open, all the big kids rush forward, leaving my kids in the dust. Then as the stampede comes to an end, I have Jon holding a spider ring, Gabe holding a little slinky, and Larissa crying empty handed. Again, all the big kids walking away with hands full of junk. :-(

The party was from 11am to 1pm, and we had a showing at our house from 1pm to 3pm, so we headed out to Burger King for a late lunch and to hang out till we can go back home. Just as we get back in the truck, I get a call. We have another showing from 4-5pm. I quickly calculate that if I get home between 3-4pm, I can grab my camera's memory card and head out to the park.
So that's what we do. Then we spend another hour shivering in a cold wind, waiting till it's OK to go back home.

Sunday started rather early for me. I am oncall this week, so I got a page at 2:30am. Spent till 4am on the phone with a support center, trying to figure out this unusual issue. Finally, I am given a permission to go get some sleep. That lasts till 7:30am when kids get me up for good.

Finally, after lunch we get to get out (the oncall issue is resolved, I am good to go). By then, most of the day already past us by. We make the best out of what remains.

What a beautiful day too! Sunny and really warm.

After a (really) long walk on a trail and some time at the playground Larissa ends up with low sugars. I knew she was "off" because she starts acting really crabby. Not too bad, she was 59 and a quick drink of apple juice bounced her right back to a cheerful self.
Gabe spent most of his time chasing grass hoppers and looking for sticks.
...and Jon just wanted to opposite of what he was told. He ended up walking away from the direction of our truck on a trail, until I pretended to leave him there. He run after me crying, and I am sure, making some people think he was a lost child.

We top it all off with a trip to McDonald's. Why not? The fun never ends at our house!

No comments: