Monday, October 5, 2009

Portland Marathon 2009

I did it! Another marathon. It's been a few years since my last one, so it felt all new again.
We had to get up very early and head out. Temperatures were in mid-40's and I wasn't sure how that would work out with my clothing layers. I hate to have to take off any layers while running because you then have to figure out what to do with it. There is nothing worse, for me, than carrying something in my hands. As a matter of fact, I was observing runners at the race wearing fancy watering belts, camel packs, etc. It seems like they are not perfect by any means, water bottles kept flying out right under out feet, hats were flying off the runners' heads, gel packs and vitamins (I think) falling out of the runners' pockets. Not to mention endless supplies of hats, gloves and sweatshirts runners were throwing on the side of the road. I never realized that some people wear something old and then just throw it away when they no longer need it!
I don't even wear a watch for the race. I don't need to know my pace and there are time announcers at every mile split.

When we got on the road, we were about 15 minutes late (per my mental schedule), but this early on a Sunday morning was a very easy drive. Until we got downtown... Who would ever expect to have a traffic jam at 6:30am on a Sunday?.. We made our way as close to the start line as we could, and as soon as we saw a free parking spot we took it. We had to walk a few blocks to the start area, but that better than missing the start time looking for a better parking.

Access to the start was only open to the runners, so we said a quick "good bye and good luck", exchanged hugs, I got my top jacket off, and as nervous as one can be, I was blending into the runners' crowd.

I think it started off very well. Start times went in waves, based on your goal finish time. I wasn't quite sure where I belong, so I wedged into a 4:30 pace. I figured it was just a place, I can keep my own pace after that.

The way race is laid out, you go by a crown of cheering fans twice, before hitting a very long stretch North. I hoped my family would be there, and I was more than happy to see them. It was only a few miles in, I felt great and I was getting warm. So, I took my long sleeve shirt and handed it to Tim, as I passed him. I now wish I didn't do that... As we run parallel to the river, winds were getting pretty cold. Even though I was warm from running and I was sweating, within seconds my sweat would turn into a cold wet shell. I am getting goosebumps just thinking about it now.

I was successful with running without stopping up to mile 16! That's where I saw a big hill ahead and I recalled some blogs telling runners that it's OK to walk. That was good enough for me. So the next 10 miles was a walk run mix. I do wish I had the strength to run all the way, but who I am kidding? My training was more casual that seriously committed.

My muscles were cramping, I had blisters in a spot of my feet I least expected them, and I started chafing (darn, I forgot to apply anti-chafing remedy under the bottom strip of my running bra!). All I could think about was "Well, I was doing 4:15 pace, I am not going to make 4:30, I just want to be done with it! I am cold and I am sore"!

Just then I finally saw this funny sign. I knew I have made it, so I squeezed one last run effort out of me. I saw my family at the finish line, cheering me on. Best feeling in the world!

I loaded up on every free food that was given out at the finish, I even almost forgot to grab my "finisher's" shirt! Talk about priorities, ha!

Met the family, drove to IHOP by our house and had a huge breakfast. Best thing about running a Marathon - you feel like you can eat anything you want in any quantities, without feeling any guilt!

Next year's race is on 10/10/2010! Hmmm.... Food for thought.

1 comment:

jenrust said...

:) Great story! I am glad you made it!