Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgivings Day 2007!

What a wonderful, long, relaxing weekend!
Tim flew in on Wednesday afternoon, and kids were absolutely thrilled! I found it easier to park in a "cell phone" zone, right before you get to the pick up lane, and wait for Tim to page me. It saves me time (and money) on parking, and that's what it's for anyway. I only wish other people would follow my example and STOP parking in front of "no parking at any time" zone and blocking my way!!! :-)

Although, kids requested that next time we go inside the terminal and wait for Daddy there.

(Too long of waiting...)


Kids and I did all the food shopping days before Thanksgivings Day and avoided most of the crowds, so we were all ready for the feast.

***
On Thursday I woke up first and got right to business. I intentionally bought a small turkey this year. I got tired of trying to figure out yet another recipe that calls for a pre-cooked turkey meat. AND I actually defrosted the bird in time for baking it! Yea for me (pat on the back).

I also made all the traditional staple foods, like a pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, bread rolls, etc.


I think by noon all the food was ready or almost ready. I even surprised myself. So, we went to the next step, which has became a family tradition now.

Every year, right before we sit down to eat, we get cleaned up and dressed nice (unless you look at Gabe, then it's more about comfort or the outfit hanging closest to his reach...). Then, we sit down on our Living room couch, get the camera timer set up, and create a family portrait that we later use for a Christmas card.


Everything went right as planned, with a small "fall out" (pond intended). I was the last to descend from my bathroom and just as I was getting down the stairs, Jon (who was sitting on Tim's lap, facing him) turned around, lost his balance and fell backwards, hitting a coffee table with the back of his head... Of course, blood starts pouring out, as it does with any cuts to the head, and the first thing that I think of (bad Momma!) "is it bad enough that I HAVE to take him to ER, or can we go on with our pictures?"

It turned out to be a superficial cut, only ~1/4" wide, but what a bleeder!

***

Black Friday: wasn't worth getting up at 4am!! Especially, not after a some wine the night before ;-)

I did take Larissa shopping for "the brothers", and then Gabe to do the same for the other two later in the morning, but I think even that was a mistake, because I kept seeing good deals on something "the person with me" would like, and of course, I couldn't get it right then...

I think I got most of relatives (we get presents for) covered, and I plan on shipping everything out early this year. No more wait-till-last-second for me!

When is a good age to talk to kids about Santa?.. hmmm...


***

Saturday was another showing at the house, so we went to Garden of the Gods for lunch and a walk. What a gorgeous day, but a bit cold!

Later that night, we drove up to Palmer Lake Chili fundraiser. All benefits go to support a light up star on the side of the hill. Apparently, it's big enough to be seen off an airplane, and it is supported by a local volunteer fire department.

Every one have to pay per head to get in, and then they also had a whole lot of donated prizes that you had to buy raffle tickets for, then drop your ticket in the basket next to the prize you wish to win, wait and see if you get it. More tickets bought, greater chance of winning. I won nothing :-( but had a great time anyway.


***

(A trip to Garden of the Gods with Daddy)


Sunday was the day to take Tim back to airport. Off he went back to OR.

Since we had, yet another, showing at the house, I took the kids to have lunch and to hang out at a playground in the Mall

Day 32


I can already tell that getting to school on time on Monday will be a challenge!

Three more weeks before Winter Break!!!

No comments: