Monday, January 28, 2008

January 26th weekend.

This weekend was all (or mostly) about the girls.
It was predicted to be a cold and icy weekend, so we didn't plan much.
Early Saturday morning Gabe and I went for a walk. I gave him an option "two or three mile loop?". He thought about it and said: "I think I walked as much as six miles before, so we can do a longer one". (Note: no, he didn't)
He changed his mind pretty soon after we started the walk. It was much cooler than we expected and it started raining as soon as we got about a hundred yards from the house.
It ended up being a two mile walk with a Starbucks stop half-way. Hot chocolate with no whipped cream for Gabe. He hates that stuff...
On the way back I managed to slip a few times. Black ice is so tricky! You really don't see it till you step on it...Later that way, Larissa and I decided to go check out Saturday Kids Crafts event at Michael's. Of course we didn't think of it till 11:00am, and it was scheduled 10:00am-noon. Luckily, Michael's is only two miles away, so we made it in plenty of time to complete the (Purple wooden Purse) project.
We got into talking to the instructors and they were just the friendliest bunch you can find! I know we will definitely go back there again!


On Sunday (again, no boys. They didn't want to leave their video games...) we went to a Family Discovery Sunday at the Museum of Contemporary Crafts.
Let me start by saying that I never expected to have so much trouble finding a parking spot downtown Portland.
Another thing... I guess I am loosing touch with the modern art. I have to be honest, there were quite a few great art works on display, but then there also were some that I found pretty gross. Any "art" made from a human by-product (in this case hair) is not something I would want to wear. Especially, as a jewelry.
Second stop, Crystal Ballroom. Turns out they were celebrating it's birthday with a full day of musicians performing till midnight.
Great place. Old and dark (and floors were vibrating under people's feet, which freaked us both out), but had this really comfortable feeling about it.
Sadly, all the walking had an impact on Larissa's glucose. Only half an hour after testing her with in range, she complained about feeling dizzy. I tested her again, and she was in the low 60's. Quick sip of juice and some Red Hots put her back on track. Although, swing in her sugars made really irritable and she ended up having a fit over wanting pizza right there and then. I gave in and went to stay in line. She threw another fit, acting like I wasn't going to get her anything, so I handed her the money and said: "Here is the money, here is the line for pizza, you get it!"
She continued to cry, so I cut the trip short, and took her home... I figured, this is the only way I can get my message across. No more unfulfilled warnings :-)

But, all in all, it was a really nice weekend.

No comments: