Thursday, June 18, 2009

June 17, 2009. The school is out!

Finally!!!
Today kids got up early, without any trouble, got dressed and ready for school. Since I didn't have to get any one's lunches ready, we were extra early at the bus stop. Looks like Jon felt left-out of the excitement. His schedule is not changing.
We made a Thank You card for the bus driver (+ a gift card) and realized that we don't know her name. Shame on us!
The night before kids addressed their teachers' Thank You cards as well, then picked out a jewelry piece from my new creations that they wanted to give as a present. They picked exactly what I already had in mind for them.
Larissa was sad that she wasn't going to see Ms. Mudd for a while. She said she will miss her...
Gabe didn't say anything, but did write a nice note for Ms. Cameron
And, of course, we had a BIG thank you card and a box of chocolates for the office. I don't know if we could do as well as we did this year, if it wasn't for Ms. Amber. She has been a great support all year!
After school we had a great lunch at Hot Pot N Sushi, picked up Jon from daycare and headed to the LEGO store for a "speed build event".
Jon couldn't participate because he is under 6 (not that he really wanted too...) and got a consolation prize, and was happy as a clam! Anything Star Wars LEGO will do for him
The build event involved building as many Darth Vader guys as you can in one minute. One who builds the most got a special edition Platinum Darth Vader. Everyone else got a magnet. Gabe and Larissa tried so hard, and got so close, but didn't win on their first try.
Then, adults were invited to give it a try, and of course, I volunteered even before the store owner finished his sentence. Out of the nine adults trying, six (including myself) were able to build two guys each, so we had to go to a Sudden Death round. You can feel the tension on the air. My kids were holding hands and cheering for me (HA HA HA).
Let just say, when I finished my Darth Vader, everyone else were about half way done. Kids were so proud of me!

After a while, kids were allowed to try again. Larissa had little luck, but Gabe got about 1/2 a second behind the winner. Darn cape, he forgot to put it on, so had to go a step back...
No worries. Gabe was determined to win, and got another chance later. This round it was a two way tie with another boy, so they also had to go through a Sudden Death round...
Gabe made me proud! He won too!

One of the customers looked at us and made a comment "It must run in the family!"". Sure does! I admit, I am a LEGO geek, especially when it comes to the Star Wars.
All in all, we had a great time.
I had to finish it off my day with making more jewelry... Larissa got earrings out of it, and I have two more pieces:
I bracelet:

and a necklace:

No comments: