Monday, December 14, 2009

December 12th weekend

Right before the weekend we started getting notices of a winter storm coming in. Of course, kids were getting excited and hoping it would get to OR before Friday, so they could get a school cancellation, and I was hoping it would hold off till the weekend, so I wouldn't have to drive to work on ice. I won!
On Friday night we went to Tim's work to see Santa Clause movie. Looks like most people decided to stay home, in fear of a possible snow storm. The place was pretty empty. Oh, well, more candy for us!
On Saturday we all got up early and headed out to a Chess Competition at an elementary school nearby (Gabe and Larissa were signed up to participate). When we got the the parking lot, we got suspicious, because it was empty... I run up to the front door and found a hand written sign that it was cancelled... It would've been nice to know ahead of time.
Since we were already downtown Hillsboro we took advantage of it. First stop was to see a Christmas tree.
Nothing was open yet (not even the Saturday Winter market). Hillsboro comes to live at 10am and it was barely 9am at that point. We found a cozy coffee/candy/crafts shop and had some family time, drinking hot chocolate and browsing through their selection of "nostalgia" candy.
Jon didn't want any hot chocolate, but was very happy to discover a candy-kabob
Snow/ice storm never reached us, but it was too cold to do much outdoors anyway, so when I got home I tried a new recipe (thanks Mary!) for a Key Lime bunt cake. I even went as far as getting fresh key limes and squeezing some fresh juice out for the recipe!
I am telling you, THE best cake ever! Usually my cake is slowly consumed and stays around for a while (until it's gone or I throw it away), so I made sure to select a recipe that listed "can be left out at room temperature for up to a week"...
Well, before I knew it, it was pretty much gone. I wasn't even fast enough to take a "before" picture!!! WOW!

On Sunday we finished decorating out tree with lights and ornaments & got out our Christmas stockings. I spent most of the day addressing and sealing Christmas cards and gifts. I am so on schedule this year!

No comments: